If you are in RC hobby then you can imagine how fun it is to play with those RC drones and cars. With fun, they are also educational for kids. Most of this RC drones and cars use Lithium Polymer batteries. Lipo battery is the most popular choice for anyone who looking for long run times and high power.
Lipo batteries have lots of benefits but you have to treat them very respectfully to use them safely. Lipo batteries are lighter in weight, higher in capacity and higher in discharge rate which allows it to hold much power, they can be made in any size and shape and they pack more punch. With these benefits, Lipo batteries also have some drawbacks like they have a much shorter lifespan, their sensitive chemistry can lead to the fire if the battery gets punctured and it needs special care for charging, discharging and storage. For taking a good care of Lipo batteries we need to have a good lipo battery charger.
Lipo Battery Charger
You cannot use like any battery charger with your Lipo battery. You need to use Lipo compatible charger for it. This is due to the fact that these batteries have a very specific voltage range. As a Lipo battery charger is a thing which we are going to use for a long time, investing in decent Lipo battery charger is always a good idea. Before buying any Lipo battery charger we need to know certain factors about it.
Some factors to understand for Lipo battery charger
- LCD display –microprocessor controlled – A visual display is a very essential requirement for lipo battery charger. You will absolutely require a visual reference in order to determine the battery health
- Battery detecting chargers –Some chargers need to tell every time which type of battery is connected. Which means it is possible for you to make mistake and overcharge the battery. My solution for this situation is a smart charger which is able to determine what type of charger is connected.
- Individual lipo cell monitoring –The charger must be capable of cell monitoring and balancing to keep lipo battery cell voltage synchronized with all other cells in lipo battery.
- Lipo chemistry –LIHV has the best power to weight ratios and is gaining ground as the technology is accepted.
- Lead acid capable –Having charger capable to lead-acid is very handy. You never know when you will leave the light on and need to charge it again.
- Large range of charge currents –Charger capable of larger currents are fantastic however lower currents are just as important.
- Battery Internal Resistance Measurement – Internal resistance is the best measurement of battery health and performance. The lower the IR the better the battery performance will be.C-rating cannot be relied upon as manufacturers are known to over-inflate their claims and have since rendered the rating meaningless. Measuring IR is fairly easy to do with the right equipment and o date has shown it is a good guide to real performance.
With all these factors you can have a best Lipo battery charger and enjoy your hobby endlessly.